Sunday, January 8, 2012

Hearty Beef Stew

Brrrr.... it's cold outside. Haha! Just kidding. Here in Michigan the weather changes its mind just about every hour. I had a surprise this week, we had a day of almost 60 degrees, in January to say the least. 

Almost any time of year I am in the mood for beef stew. It's warming from the inside out and oh so good. 

Here is a recipe I just made up for you. As always, feel free to be creative yourself and use whatever you have available, but this is what I did - this time at least :-) I make a large batch, we eat it for dinner and lunch the next day, then I freeze the rest for later. Freezing for later is a HUGE TIME SAVER!

*Several of these ingredients came from my own garden or something I had canned previously. It sure does save a lot of time and money when I have most of the items already prepared for this. It is also a great feeling to know where your food came from.  

 Beef Barley Stew:

4 cups *Beef Broth
3 lbs J.H. Stew Meat
2 cups *Tomato Sauce
8 cups Water
2/3 cup Lentils
1/2 cup Pearled Barley
1 small bag baby carrots
6 med. Red Potatoes
4 cups *Green Beans
1 cups *Frozen Corn
1 tablespoon Lemon Pepper
3 Bay Leaves
1 teaspoon Parsley
2 teaspoon Minced Garlic
Salt to Taste - I had to add about 1/2 - 1 tablespoon to mine. 


* These are items from my garden or things I have canned.

The step-by-step below: 


Be sure to try John Henry's Beef Stew Meat from Sirloin Tip.


I start my meat a little bit different- it takes a little bit longer but it isn't any more work. In my crock pot (6qt) I place the 3 lbs of Beef stew meat - and I slice 2 small to medium onions to place in there as well.

  
Sprinkle liberally with salt and lemon pepper (add any other seasonings you would like). Add about 1 1/2 cups of water to crock pot and cook on low for about 4 hours.


Once meat is done cooking it is time to start the actual beef stew... Yay!
Start by dumping the entire contents of the crock pot into your stock pot. You will have a nice beef base. Next add the rest of the ingredients.


Dice potatoes and slice carrots and throw those in there as well.... feel free to add any other veggies you would like. 


It's basically going to look like brown water with a bunch of veggies swimming around... now simmer for a few hours and it will come to life. 


After a few hours your stew will evolve into this thick deliciousness. The barley becomes plump and all the flavors mix together. Pure heaven for those cold evenings or anytime.

Beef Barley Stew.... it's whats for dinner :-)

5 comments:

  1. MMM! That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That look delicious... So glad I found your blog. Beef barley stew is one of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this recipe a few days ago and it was a huge hit. The only changes I made is that I left out the corn and instead of potatoes I used chopped zucchini. I wanted to reduce the starchy carbs, so that was the only reason. My husband LOVED it, it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad! Thank you for posting! Love the idea about the zucchini. We grew the potatoes and corn in our garden so that is what I had available :-). I will definitely have to try to add zucchini to ours next time.

      Delete
  4. Yes, this looks so much like my Mom's but she doesn't have a recipe for it, it's all in her head. I can't do that, I have to follow a recipe to be successful. :) I'm so definitely trying this one. Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete