Sunday, February 26, 2012

My Bestest Breakfast!

Who doesn't like waffles or pancakes of some sort? 
My family loves them, especially Ty & Aurora. If you are looking for something quick, easy, and a whole lot healthier than Bisquick...look no further!

Cinnamon Waffles ~ Perfect to top
 with butter and maple syrup... heavenly.
I came across this great recipe in Sheryl Shenefelt's, C.N. book "The Guide to Healthy Eating". What a fantastic book by the way Click here to read more about the book or purchase it.

Here are the basic ingredients. I did drift from the recipe just a bit - but basically because I used what I had on hand. 
2 cups whole grain Spelt flour
* I used some of the sprouted whole wheat flour we now carry in our bulk foods.
1 2/3 cups whole yogurt (plain)
* I used Thomas Organic Creamery's Vanilla yogurt (one of my fav's, plus we also carry that as well).
3 eggs
1 tablespoon coconut oil - melted
* I have made it with both coconut and sesame.
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1-2 tablespoons filtered water

Combine spelt flour and yogurt and let soak over night (I did this the first time but figured since I was using the sprouted flour it wasn't necessary the next time around, plus I wanted to make several batches for the freezer).

 After everything is all mixed in, they are ready to cook.
I believe my favorite part of making the waffles is putting them in a big ziplock bag and freezing them. Then in the morning instead of fussing over breakfast, I can take them out and pop them in the toaster. 
What a quick and easy breakfast for my family. Knowing what we put in our bodies is so important and being able to make something that tastes this good is even better.
If you are looking for an alternative to eggs, cereal and oatmeal - try these out. You won't be disappointed. 

*Super happy to be able to get most of these ingredients directly from my mom. If I didn't work for her, I would be getting home delivery for sure!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment